Thin crust, deep dish, extra toppings, half 'n' half. There's so many possibilities when it comes to pizza sometimes the thoughts are overwhelming. It's a universal symbol we've all grown obsessed with and for us clean eaters we cant help but slide in a slice or five every once in awhile. We decided to get our creative juices flowing and do the pizza dance to come up with our next pizza creation. Our Poppin' BBQ Pizza Rolls, These bite sized masterpieces were perfect for simply poppin' in your mouth or dunkin' into your favorite sauce.
These rolls were quite easy to make, minus waiting for the dough to rise, which surely built up the anticipation for these hungry buns. While marinara sauce and cheese is the common approach we decided to take it up a notch and incorporate a component everybunny loves ... BBQ sauce! Obviously we wanted to incorporate something that would go perfect with the BBQ sauce so we added cheddar (vegan, that is), red onion, and mushroom. You're probably ready to pop these rolls in your mouth, so without further ado, here's our Poppin' BBQ Pizza Rolls Recipe.
3/4 cup of diced portobello mushroom
1/3 cup of minced red onion
1/2 cup of vegan cheddar cheese
For the dough
1 packet of dry active yeast
1 tsp of sugar (we used turbinado sugar)
1/2 cup of warm water
1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1 tbs of olive oil
For the BBQ sauce
1/2 cup of sun dried tomato paste
1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup of maple syrup
1 tbs of molasses
1 tbs of stone ground mustard
1 tbs of garlic powder
1 tbs of paprika
1 tsp of pink himalayan salt
1 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp of turbinado sugar
1. Combine dry active yeast with sugar and pour in warm water. Stir until yeast is dissolved and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl combine flour and olive oil. When yeast is ready (if yeast is not foamy start over) mix into dry ingredients.
3. Knead dough on flat surface. Coat the bowl you just used with a dash of olive oil and place dough back in bowl. Cover with a small towel and set in a warm room for two hours.
4. Once dough is ready make sauce in a small pot on medium heat. Combine all ingredients and stir well for 3 to 4 minutes. Once sauce is ready set aside.
5. Grab dough and roll out thinly onto a floured surface. With a cutter of choice cut dough for pizza rolls until out of space. Add sauce, cheese, mushroom, and onion to dough skipping every other piece.
6. Preheat oven to 375°. With every empty piece of dough place on top of dough with toppings. Press seal with a fork and set onto a baking sheet.
7. With a brush add olive oil and dried oregano on top. Place in oven for 15 minutes. Once time is up remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve with sauce of choice and enjoy.