'Tis the season to be jolly for fa la la la la falafels! It's been another hot day here in Germany so eating heavy wasn't the idea for today's dinner. So tonights recipe called for one fat serving of falafels with the traditional tag alongs ... hummus and tabouli salad which we made with white quinoa instead of couscous.
After we got through our mise en place (the french culinary term referring to the set up required before cooking) this recipe was pretty simple to make. Which means it gets in our belly sooner! Usually once these beauties are all balled up we throw them into the fryer, but since it's summer and we gotta watch our bunn-ish figures, we decided tonight we would bake them instead. Frying does give it a more crispy finish, which we do encourage for those who want to splurge (and don't get us wrong ... we fry them up all the time). Here's a little secret - falafels are a great source of protein, low in fat, and have no cholesterol if fried in organic heart healthy grape seed oil. So now theres only one decision that needs to be made. Are you going to get fried or baked? ;)
Oh, come on, you know you can't just have one serving!
1 1/2 cup of soaked chickpeas
3/8 cup of minced yellow onion
1 clove of minced garlic
1 tbs of lemon juice
1 tbs of chopped parsley
1 1/2 tsp of chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp of pink himalayan salt
1/4 tsp of cumin
1/8 tsp of black pepper
Pinch of cayenne
1/2 cup of almond flour
3 tbs of all purpose flour
1. In a blender or food processor combine all ingredients, excluding almond flour and flour.
2. Blend ingredients until all components are combined, but not until smooth.
3. Transfer filling into a large bowl and add almond meal. Stir well.
4. Form falafels into desired size. Sprinkle flour onto a flat surface and roll falafels until coated in flour.
5.1. If frying - In a medium pot, pour olive oil to about an inch depth (or use deep fryer). Heat oil to 350 F and fry for 3-4 minutes.
5.2. If baking - Preheat oven to 400 F and bake falafels for 20-25 minutes flipping halfway.
6. Once falafels are ready allow to cool for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy :)