If there's a food of thrones out there we could all agree pizza is up there somewhere sitting pretty ... or in this case tasty. Extra toppings, half 'n' half, cauliflower crust, and even raw! With so many possibilities what's not to love?! Tonight we wanted to keep it clean ... well, diet speaking that is, So we put a bunny brainstorm together and decided eggplant pizza it is and with eggplant being a very good source of dietary fiber what do you have to loose... well you get what we mean there. This recipe was a hit at the family table for us vegans and non-vegan family members. With enough "slices" to go around we can say this will satisfy the hungriest hubby, wifey, teenager, and shoot ... even grandma will be saying "mama mia" at first slice!
Like with any pizza you've got to have the right sauce. We kept it traditional with a tomato sauce. We added all kinds of shapes and forms of tomato in here which is probably what made it so darn delicious. We had to eat a spoonful every time one of us stirred it. Vine ripe, paste, and sundried. Oh my!
Next it was time to get cheesy. We debated at first whether we were going to use this amazing store bought mozzarella we found a few weeks ago or make our own but it was cashew cheese for the win after all nothing beats homemade.
Last but not least - toppings. This is really an anything goes section of our eggplant pizza, but we used marinated tempeh, kalamata olives, cremini mushrooms, and fresh basil. So now that's all covered let's get this party started.
2 big eggplants (sliced)
1 cup of kalamata olives
1 cup of sliced cremini mushrooms
1 cup of diced tempeh
2 tbs of maple syrup
2 tbs of soy sauce
1/4 tsp of cumin
1/4 tsp of paprika
salt & pepper to taste
For tomato sauce
2 tbs of olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
1 1/4 cup of vine ripe tomato (diced)
1/3 cup of sun dried tomatoes
1/4 cup of tomato paste
1/4 cup of water
1 tbs of fresh chopped basil
1/2 tsp of pepper
1/4 tsp of oregano
For cashew cheese
1 cup of soaked raw cashew
1 clove of garlic
2 tbs of nutritional yeast flakes
3/8 cup of filtered water
1/4 tsp vinegar
1/4 tsp of pink himalayan salt
1. In a bowl, combine tempeh, maple syrup, soy sauce, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper and let marinate for about 10 minutes.
2. In a pot, on medium heat, add olive oil and garlic and cook until fragrant.
3. Then add all the tomatoes, water, basil, pepper and oregano, and let simmer until creamy, stirring occasionally.
4. In a high-speed blender, add all ingredients for cashew cheese and blend until smooth.
5. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Line eggplant slices onto parchment paper on a baking sheet.
6. Top eggplant slices with tomato sauce, followed by cheese, and toppings (exluding basil).
7. Pop in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove, top with fresh basil, garnish with nutritional yeast and enjoy.