Weekends are all about soul food for us. There's just something about pizza on a
Friday night with a movie or tacos on a Saturday with your close ones. This weekend we made bean burgers with of course.. A load of french fries to follow. These burgers were amazing, after our first bite we both were reminded of eating a fat juicy fast food burger from back in the day. We were filled with delight until the last crumb was gone. All of the elements in this burger worked so well together from the smoky thick cut maple tempeh bacon all the way to the juicy ripe beefsteak tomatoes! The best part is we have some left in our Fridge for tonight! So come and join us for dinner, We only have to ask will it be a single or double.
For the bean burger patties
1 1/3 cup of black beans
1 1/2 cup of chickpeas
1 cup of panko bread crumbs (you can use ground oats for a great substitute as well)
1 chia egg
2 1/2 tsp of soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp of chili powder
1/2 tsp of pink Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1/2 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp of dried Italian seasonings (you can also just use dried oregano for a substitute)
For the maple tempeh bacon
2 tbs of soy sauce
2 tbs of maple syrup
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
Pinch of pink salt and black pepper
8 oz of sliced tempeh (we cut ours thick)
Vegan sliced cheese
Sliced beefsteak tomatoes
Sesame seed burger buns
Ketchup (me made our own by combining tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, and agave syrup)
1. In a large bowl add beans and smash throughly with a fork or masher. Add bread crumbs and mix well using hands.
2. Make chia egg and allow to set. Once chia egg is ready add into bean patty mixture followed by the remaining ingredients. Mix well using hands until all ingredients are well combined.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Form patties into desired size and place onto a greased parchment paper on a baking sheet. Pop patties in oven for 10 minutes on one side and 5 the other.
4. While patties are cooking in oven. Combine all ingredients for tempeh bacon marinade, stir well and add tempeh. Heat a pan on medium heat and cook tempeh for 3 minutes each side.
5. Once the patties are ready pop cheese onto each patty and allow to melt in oven for a few minutes.
6. Remove cheese burger patties from oven and set aside. Grab buns (hehe) and add lettuce followed by patties, tomato, bacon, mayo, and ketchup. Serve with fries and enjoy.
P.s This made 6 delicious meaty bean burgers.. Mmmm